Cyber-security can improve by adopting best practices
- 779 views
- March 02, 2017
Patients and their families expect healthcare professionals to know and apply best practices. They can also expect that eHealth’s cyber-security aspires to the same standards. A white paper from Osterman Research, and sponsored by KnowBe4, a cyber-security and training firm, sets these out for combating phishing and ransomware cyber-attacks. They offer a good start for Africa’s eHealth. Core themes include:
- Phishing and ransomware are increasing at the rate of several hundred percent a quarter
- Most organisations have been victimised
- Phishing and ransomware are in security decision makers’ four main concerns
- Security spending will increase significantly in 2017
- Most organisations don’t seeing improvements in their security
- Security awareness training is vital to combat phishing and ransomware
- Organisations with well-trained employees are less likely to be infected
In this increasing challenging cyber-crime world, organisations can adopt many best cyber-security practices to deal with phishing and ransomware. They include:
- Cyber-security awareness training to create a human firewall
- Test staff periodically to see if cyber-security awareness training’s effective
- Rigorous password management
- Deploy systems that detect and eliminate phishing and ransomware attacks
- Search for and remedy cyber-security risks and vulnerabilities
- Maintaining good, isolated backups
- Using reliable threat intelligence
- Establish communication backchannels for key staff members
- Keep reminding employees of the risks of oversharing content on social media
- Ensure every employee maintains robust anti-malware defences on their managed platforms
- Keep software and operating systems up-to-date.
These are sensible and pragmatic practices that Africa’s health systems can adopt. Making theme effective needs a cyber-security leader, who must be an executive.
Acfee internship applications
Acfee internship applications open until 24th November. find out more here
Rome Business School eHealth Masters
Better managers for a better world
Health Information Systems South Africa (HISP-SA)
HISP-SA develops and implements sustainable, integrated Health Information Systems that empower communities, patients and healthcare workers.
eHealthALIVE 2016 Report
eHealthALIVE 2016 was about showcasing eHealth excellence in Africa, debating the challenges...
Cyber-security: themes for Africa's eHealth
Cyber-crime is on the increase, and Africa’s health sector is not immune to the growing and changing threats.
African eHealth Forum 2016 Report
Successful eHealth connects us with our information in ways that transform what we expect from our health...
African eHealth Forum 2015 Report
Acfee hosts the annual African eHealth Forum. It’s where Acfee’s Advisory Board, its industry partners...